Tuesday, August 29, 2006

History: Pt.1

Today I will be posting on a little family history I have recently run across, and asking to pick my fellow bloggers' brains for historical knowledge.

My Grandmother has a small metal box full of letters and a few old things, but her knowledge about it is limited. This post will focus on half of the box.

I have a relative, Robert Lunsford, who was apparently in the Army from 1911 to 1916, and then in the National Guard, as a Corporal.

I have surmised from this medal that he must have been at the battle of Meuse-Argonne in France in 1918, as this is a Victory Medal with service bars from that front.

There is also a dog tag, from shortly after the Army made them mandatory. It in includes only his name and serial number on the back. (The picture I took of that was too blurry, so I didn't post it here.)

What I'm having some trouble with is the uniform patch with the eagle in the circle. Does anyone know what this stood for? Also, I belive these handcuffs belonged to him. Do they look to be the right time period? There is a possibility that they could've belonged to a Civil War soldier in the family.

Thanks, all!

No comments: