Friday, August 25, 2006

Cows Have Accent?


Mooo? Moooew? Moowwww? Mmmmmo?

Can cows moo with an accent? A group of British farmers from West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers thinks so.

"I spend a lot of time with my Friesians and they definitely 'moo' with a Somerset drawl," he said, referring to the breed of dairy cow he owns.

"I've spoken to the other farmers in the West Country group and they have noticed a similar development in their own herds.

"I think it works the same as with dogs - the closer a farmer's bond is with his animals, the easier it is for them to pick up his accent."

Although they think more study is needed on the subject, University College London Phonetics Professors think that it isn't so far-fetched. They have found similar results in bird species.

So, I wonder if you take a cow from the South and put him with a heard from the North, will they be able to understand him? Heh.

No comments: