Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Oh, How The Mighty Have Fallen


It seems that Dan Rather has his panties in a bunch over CBS refusing to allow him to further embarrass the network with shoddy reporting.

You see, Dan, when you set out to destroy someone, you usually wind up destroying yourself. Just ask ol' Captain Ahab.

Dan Rather, as you recall, tried to harpoon his white whale with a false story about the President's National Guard service.

Since then, Rather gave up his anchor position, and has made infrequent appearances covering B.S. stories, such as his latest segment on 60 Minutes about the Whole Foods Market, and whether of not they should sell live lobsters. It might be cruel to kill them, you know.

All this has culminated in Rather being given an office at CBS, but no assignments. I suppose the network is afraid that he will either air an outrageously false story, or bore the audience to tears with an inconsequential one.

Rather took this swipe at CBS:

"I leave CBS News with tremendous memories. But I leave now most of all with the desire to once again do regular, meaningful reporting. My departure before the term of my contract represents CBS's final acknowledgement, after a protracted struggle, that they had not lived up to their obligation to allow me to do substantive work there. As for their offers of a future with only an office but no assignments, it just isn't in me to sit around doing nothing. So I will do the work I love elsewhere, and I look forward to sharing details about that soon."

Uh-huh. I'll wait for you with baited breath, Dan. Here's a little hint... You haven't gotten any substantive assignments, because you don't do substantive work.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

No comments: