Sunday, June 4, 2006

I Married A Snake... No, REALLY!


An Indian woman has fallen in love with and married a cobra in a traditional Hindu wedding with 2,000 guests in attendance.

The bride donned a silk saree, but the groom could not be coaxed out of his hole. Since no one was willing to go in after him, a brass statue of a cobra stood in his place.

"Whenever I put milk near the ant hill where the cobra lives, it always comes out to drink. I always get to see it every time I go near the ant hill. It has never harmed me," said the bride, Bimbala Das.

The villagers of Bhubaneswar laid out a feast for the human/animal union, believing it would bring good luck.

Her parents even approve: "I am happy. Bimbala was ill. We had no money to treat her. Then she started offering milk to the snake... She was cured. That made her fall in love."

Das now lives in a hut near the ant hill. She is a member of the vegetarian religious sect of Vaishnav, whose leaders gave her permission to marry the snake.

Oh, good grief...

No comments: