Monday, March 27, 2006

Here's one for the "Well, Duh" file...

Who would've guessed that you'd find a drunk in a bar?

Detectives in San Antonio, TX have begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk. The first sting op was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb and netted 30 arrests for public intoxication.

Carolyn Beck, the representative from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said that being in a bar does not exempt one from public drunkenness laws.

I suppose not, but this does seem a bit unfair. I mean, what do they expect from folks drinking in a bar?

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

I used to work in an ER. Believe me, I dealt with my share of stupid, stupid drunks. But I think the latter is just natural selection at work, and the former...Well, if we dealt with DUI in a more harsh fashion, like 25-life for a first offense, no parole, then maybe folks would take it more seriously. And if not, they'd be put away.

I've spoken with a few drunks in the ER that have been busted driving, and they will occasionally say things like, "I have the right to drive and I have the right to drink." Let's up the ante for those folks, and let the moderately well-behaved barflies alone.

No comments: