Monday, October 30, 2006

Michael J. Fox And The Great Stem Cell Debate

When Rush Limbaugh made his comments about Michael J. Fox 'playing up' his disease for the cameras, I knew he was going to catch hell over it; Rush has a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth.

Fox may or may not have been using his disease as a tool, but it turns out that Fox himself was the tool in that now infamous commercial.

Fox appeared on "This Week" with George Stephanopoulos, and they discussed the incident. Fox campaigned for Clair McCaskill, who supports Amendment 2, the stem cell initiative.

Supporters of the bill say that it opposes human cloning, but critics say that embryonic stem cell research would necessitate the procedure. After all, if egg farming is disallowed, how do you get new stem cells to experiment on, if not by cloning?

Not to mention that embryonic stem cell research is fraught with fallacy and bad results, unlike adult stem cell research... But that's a topic for another time.

Either way, this bill is wrong... And it's wording is deceptive.

But back to Fox... He admitted that although he is against egg farming, or human cloning, he has no idea how new stem cells would be acquired with this bill; in fact, he hadn't even read it before he advertised for it!!!

A quote from Fox, all emphasis mine:

"You know, I campaigned for Claire McCaskill," he explained. "And so I have to qualify it by saying I'm not qualified to speak on the page-to-page content of the initiative. Although, I am quite sure that I'll agree with it in spirit, I don't know, I --in full disclosure, I haven't read it, and that's why I didn't put myself up for it distinctly."

Wow. In spirit it's good... Do the ends really justify the means, my friends?


No comments: